Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dewberry

I've been shopping at The Body Shop since 1991, back when Ms. Roddick was running the show. And I've seen a lot of my favorite products come and go. Kiwi lip balm, chamomile mask, and that shaving cream for men that smells like pumpkin pie are just a few. And while they haven't brought this stuff back, they recently brought back an old line, including Dewberry, Ice Blue, Cucumber, and Carrot.

I always liked Dewberry, so I stopped at the mall tonight after work to grab some. I was unprepared for the flood of memories the scent of it would bring down upon me. I smelled the tester, and automatically, it was 1991 again. I felt like I was in high school again, and I almost cried. It was such an amazing sensation. I usually get transported by sounds, not scents, but this did it to me big time. All I could think of was that time, and who I knew then, and I could almost touch that year. It was incredible. So incredible that I bought 3 bottles of Dewberry bath gel.

Who the hell gets nostalgic about bath gel? Interesting culture I live in that I am totally into this.

My husband went across the mall to the Penney's to spend a gift card, and when I went to find him Sting's "Why Should I Cry For You" was on the in store music system. I got "The Soul Cages", the album this song is on, for Christmas, 1991. Talk about completing the illusion.

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and make the most out of all the chances I had back then. Other times I realize I did what I did to become who I am now, and aside from the fat surrounding me, I like that I am who I am. But if I do feel like time traveling, I have those 3 bottles of Dewberry.

No comments: