Friday, December 7, 2012

Records

This week I purchased 3 new albums - Girl On Fire by Alicia Keys, Love This Giant by David Byrne and St. Vincent, and Hands Of Glory by Andrew Bird.  All three of these albums are fabulous, and I think I need to buy some St. Vincent albums now too.  

When I buy new records, sometimes I don't aways get a chance to listen to them in depth like I used to when I was younger.  Does anyone else remember doing this?  You'd buy a new record, bring it home, put it on the stereo and listen to it beginning to end while reading the lyrics and liner notes.  I used to have much more personal relationships with my records.  I miss that.

So I'm going to get back to that.  

I need to revisit most of my record collection.  I'm thinking a cozy comforter, a cup of tea, and listening to some of my neglected records and perhaps, blogging about my feelings about them.  So, yeah.  That's my plan.  And once I've done this a bit, my iPod is going to get loaded up like crazy.  

1 comment:

Kevin S. O'Brien said...

Oh, yes, I remember doing that! I think that I have changed and the world has changed. Me: Much more occupying my mind and time now than when I was in high school and college. Also, much more in the way of responsibilities. The World: Everything is instantly available at the click of a mouse! The ability to acquire items of interest (now a nearly instantaneous process; even the search [quest] can be done in a manner of moments) far outstrips the ability to process those items (still at 1:1 real-time). In the past, we didn't have the backlog nipping at our heels. These memories of the good times of deeper processing are "the horror of nostalgia".