Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Timothy Dalton

It's a bit after 1AM and I'm watching Flash Gordon. I used to stay up late watching it on tape in my parent's basement when I was in high school, and this is bringing back memories. Anyway, Timothy Dalton just swashbuckled on screen to announce that the jewels Prince Vultan was presented as a tribute were in fact stolen from Prince Barin and the other of Arboria. First of all, that is one hell of a voice. Second of all, Dalton is very good. I think he's extremely underrated. I had a discussion a few months ago with my friends Daryl and Nebbie about the different actors who played James Bond. Everyone agreed that Dalton was a fantastic Bond, but the scripts for his movies were just kinda "meh". I think the meh kept me from realizing what a good Bond he was.

He also is fantastic in Hot Fuzz. He did such a good job in that movie, and he's still quite dashing. He has a real Errol Flynn thing going on, but he's better looking than Flynn was. Sorry, Robin Hood.

Ooh, he just said "Lying bitch!". This movie is so great. I love anything touched by Dino De Laurentiis. Come to think of it, a lot of people in this movie are a bit underrated. Richard O'Brien and Chaim Topol to name a few, and of course Brian Blessed. I'd add Max von Sydow to the list, but I don't think anyone underestimates his awesome-ness. Even in short films such as this. Sheesh, who in this movie DOESN'T have an amazing voice? I even love Philip Stone who plays the preacher who marries Dale and Ming. He's the creepy ghost of Grady in The Shining and Alex's father in A Clockwork Orange.

Anyway, back to Dalton. Well, there really isn't much else to say. He's really good and really underrated. That is all. I think I'll watch Hot Fuzz next.

No comments: